- Real Estate and Tourism
The JCP team is well known across the region for its ability to tackle the complex challenges of the Dominican real estate sector, one of the backbones of the country’s economy. From large infrastructure, energy, and commercial real estate developments to luxury residential real estate projects – JCP’s savvy approach, incorporating both legal and practical considerations, directly contributes to success of any real estate operation.
JCP’s regularly represents the world’s top developers, financial institutions, investors, funds and individual owners, with issues ranging from purchase, financing, and leasing to permits, tax, and dispute resolution.
The team is familiar equally with perfecting real property rights, obtaining construction permits, licenses, tax exemptions, condominium regime qualifications, as well as protecting real property rights in courts and administrative agencies. It
The Legal 500 recommends JCP for contentious and non-contentious real estate work, noting the firm’s involvement in a number of major infrastructure projects, including the recent financing of $50.7m financing for a 50MW wind power project in the north of the country by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), and representation of several developers and investors in the financing of tourist and industrial development projects.
Chambers and Partners Latin America notes that Luis Jimenez, who is praised by its high profile source as one of the true legal masterminds in the country, is well respected by his peers. At the same time, the Legal 500 highly recommends JCP’s leading partner Marcos Peña for real estate disputes and notes Luis Jiménez’s and José Cruz’s strength on the transactional side.
- Real estate transactions: acquisitions, sales, and leasing
- Title search and registration
- Registration of rights of way, mortgages, liens, etc.
- Verification of property boundaries
- Tax optimisation
- Real estate litigation
- Title disputes
- Enforcement of mortgagee’s rights
- Development, construction, and management of commercial, infrastructure, and tourism real estate projects
- Real estate financing
- Loan originations and participations
- Preferred equity
- Public and private offering of debt and equity real estate securities
- Senior and mezzanine financing transactions
- Workouts, restructurings, and foreclosures
- Registration and perfection of real estate backed securities
- Traditional and Renewable Energy
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Representation of one of the largest Dominican loans and savings associations in connection with recording and registration of its portfolio of securities
- Represented a telecommunication company in regularizing the certificates of titles to the land purchased for installation of telecommunication towers
- Structuring, implementation, and restructuring of a US$65 million credit facility to a local real estate developer by a private equity fund
- Closing agent services for a luxury real estate project in Juan Dolio
- Renovation of one of the largest and most established Santo Domingo hotels