Katherine Rosa is a partner, who specializes in different business areas, including concessions, regulated industries, local and international financing, project finance, economic regulation and energy.
Before joining JCP, Katherine Rosa had worked in various managerial positions at the legal department of Banco Dominicano del Progreso, S.A. since 1996. From 2002 to 2006 she was an assistant vice president of legal affairs of the bank. Ms. Rosa handled local financing and project finance, including structuring of syndicated loans with financial institutions and local and international multilateral organizations. She participated in a merger of three banks, merger and acquisition of two insurance companies, as well as the purchase of shares of different telecom companies.
Ms. Rosa also directed and coordinated legal issues of Grupo Progreso, S.A.’s related companies in the areas of capital markets, telecommunications, insurance, and real estate, assisting with both regulatory issues and operations.
Relevant Recent Experience
- Served as local counsel to foreign government agencies, multilateral lending agencies and international commercial banks, in granting and renegotiation of financing of US$60-120 million to acquire power generation assets of approximately 300MW and a wind power project: obtained permissions for the approval of new purchasers, change of creditors, modification of guarantees, negotiating concession contracts and power purchase agreements (PPAs) with the government to improve the project’s bankability, provided legal support in all negotiations with the authorities in the electricity sector and acquisition of required permits and authorizations.
- Represented the Dominican state in a renegotiation of a PPA for 300MW to enable the facility to run on two energy sources, natural gas and fuel oil, including negotiation of gas transport agreements, among others.
- Advised multinational construction companies on investment projects of up to US$800 million in electricity generation assets in the Dominican Republic, including (a) construction of an electricity generation plant, (b) construction of transmission lines, (c) construction of an import terminal, unloading, vessel, storage, re-gasification, distribution and handling of LNG, with complete facilities and equipment, and (d) construction of marine facilities for unloading and / or fuel handling.
- Assisted investment funds and international investment banks, as well as local banks, with implementation of their investment, due diligence, financing, and restructuring, ranging from US$2 million to over US$120 million into various local companies, such as owners and operators of power plants and commercial and tourism real estate developers.
- Served as local counsel to local companies in issuance of up to US$75 million in private bonds ("Senior Secured Notes") in the international market, structured by leading international companies leaders in capital investment services under Rule 144A and Regulation "S" of the "Securities Act" of the United States; as well as in the review, for the purposes of legal opinion to the arrangers and underwriters, of several public bond offering programs in the local market for up to US$9.3 million.
- Latin American Energy and Infrastructure Guide, May, 2013 – “Leading Lawyer”
- Legal 500 Latin America 2012, Corporate and Finance
- Lender Protections in the Project Finance Market of the Dominican Republic, Banking and Finance Guide, Financier Worldwide, May 2013 (co-authored with Yulia Felender and Melissa Gilbert).
- Investing in Renewable Energy in the Dominican Republic, Expert Guide – Foreign Investment 2012, Corporate LiveWire, October 2012 (co-authored with Yulia Felender).
- Making Sure Your Investment in the Dominican Republic Is a Breeze, Finance and Investment Guide, Financier Worldwide, July 2012 (co-authored with Yulia Felender).
- Doing Business Report, Chapter on Getting Credit- Legal Rights Survey- Dominican Republic, World Bank and International Finance Corporation, 2011, 2012, and 2013. (contributor).
- Boston University Legal English for Practitioners, 2012
- Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña (UNPHU), Administracion Ejecutivo para Abogados, 2001
- Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo (UASD) Maestria en Derecho Civil, 1998
- Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo (UASD) LLB, 1996, cum laude
- National Association of Young Entrepreneurs