- Corporate and M&A
The JCP team advises clients on all legal and business aspects of operating, financing and expanding their investments in the Dominican Republic.
The firm has rapidly become a leader in the relatively new M&A practice in the Dominican Republic. It routinely handles large-scale cross-border mergers, acquisitions and spin-offs of businesses with presence in the country. It also participates in negotiations outside the Dominican Republic of transactions involving Dominican corporate branches or subsidiaries.
JCP attorneys possess vast experience representing Fortune 500 companies, multinational corporations, capital providers, as well as local state and private entities, across a wide specter of industries, from energy and mining to hospitality and manufacturing.
Chambers and Partners Latin America characterizes the firm as “particularly active in M&A, financing and restructuring.” Its sources describe JCP as "a very business-oriented practice, providing excellent service and great response times." The firm’s founding partners are top ranked and are noted for their client service and negotiating skills.
The Legal 500 notes that despite its relatively young age, “the firm has swiftly gained a very strong reputation for corporate finance work, and founding partners Luis Jimenez and Jose Cruz have established themselves as very good names for general commercial and transactional advice. They are also noted for their strong track records advising clients in the energy sector.”
- Corporate Maintenance
- Set-up, dissolution and liquidation of corporations, partnerships, joint ventures and NGOs
- Annual corporate maintenance
- Compliance with all disclosure and filing requirements
- Tax planning
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate control
- Directors’ duties and liabilities
- Shareholders relations
- Stock plans
- Cross-Border Corporate Transactions and Finance
- Tender Offers
- Leveraged Buyouts
- Private Equity Investments
- Representation of an affiliate of TCW/Société Générale in the US$30 million sale of its stake in a local utility company
- Representation of the Dominican State in the US$400 million acquisition of two electric distribution companies
- Structuring and implementation of a US$140 million acquisition by a Venezuelan investor of a majority stake in one of the largest agribusinesses in the Dominican Republic
- Representation of a foreign group in the acquisition of a US$100 million real estate development in the Dominican Republic