JCP’s telecommunication practice is one of the most thriving in the country. Both local and international telecom service providers have relied on its expertise in connection with establishing, financing, operating, or selling their telecom business in the Dominican Republic. JCP also represents radio stations, television channels and cable companies.
JCP’s vast experience dealing with the Dominican Telecommunications Institute (INDOTEL), the local regulator, allows it to successfully handle any regulatory challenge facing its clients in a wide range of rule-making and enforcement proceedings: obtaining approval for mergers and acquisitions, setting rates for services and other charges, obtaining amendments of interconnection regulation, and applying for and opposing broadband width use, among others.
After the INDOTEL issued the first consumer protection regulation in 2002, JCP was the first law firm to defend the interests of providers against actions brought by users before arbitral panels approved by the INDOTEL and at the Supreme Court.
At the same time, prior experience of many JCP attorneys as in- house counsel at telecom companies has served as an asset to the firm when supporting business of its corporate telecommunication clients, from negotiating interconnection, equipment space, backhaul and many other types of agreement to handling land use, zoning and environmental matters related to communications and broadcast infrastructure. JCP closely works with the legislative and executive branch to advance its clients’ legislative goals.
JCP litigation team successfully handles court and administrative proceedings in connection with inter-carrier rate disputes, interconnection agreements (ICAs), and tariff interpretation.
- Obtaining approval for mergers and acquisitions, interconnection agreements, and resale services
- Spectrum utilization issues, from auction participation and license acquisitions to build-out requirements and spectrum leases
- Agency investigations
- Adjudicative and rulemaking proceedings
- Regulatory compliance
- Appeals of agency decisions and complaint proceedings
- Preparation of comments in rulemaking proceedings
- Land use
- Acquisitions and leasing of property for tower sites
- Obtaining easements, rights of way, etc
- Full service litigation
- Consumer protection litigation at administrative and Supreme Court level
- Administrative appeals of INDOTEL’s rulings
- Civil litigation of interconnection agreements
- IP registration and protection of product trademarks
- Representation of France Telecom in connection with the US$1.4 billion sale of its Dominican asset, Orange Dominicana, S.A., to Altice.
- Representation of Trilogy International Partners of its _________ acquisition of All America Cables & Radio República Dominicana, Inc. (Centennial Dominicana).
- Representation of numerous cable and internet service providers in connection with extending the scope of services and coverage of their concessions
- Representation of a satellite company in connection with registration of a satellite in the country and agreements with service providers
- Representation of a group of the country’s largest telecommunication service providers in the appeal of the INDOTEL’s ruling not to consider backhaul as an essential facility.